Greetings, my fellow port swillers!
Yes, ol’ Robbo watched the Sooper Bowl this evening, only the second pro football game he’s caught this season. Some observations:
- Good game. Ol’ Robbo prefers a good defensive struggle to an offensive blow-out. I’m the same way about baseball, with which I am far more concerned. I recall a banner on the wall in my own high school locker room: “If they never score, we never lose. Defense wins championships.”
- (I can’t make this dot go away(
- Peyton Manning. I’ve enjoyed seeing the guy thwarted from time to time over the years because of his, in my humble opinion, outsized ego. But his final game? Nice to see him get another ring.
- I heard (did not see) that “Lady Gaga” sang the National Anthem straight down the middle, concentrating on the anthem and not on herself (indeed, making a point of it). If so, good on her. For that, at least.
- Ol’ Robbo flees as far away from “pop” culture as he can on a regular basis, confining his ordinary teevee viewing to old movies, baseball, and cable retro series like “Star Trek: TNG” and “Frasier”. It’s only in such incidences as the Sooper Bowl that he comes in direct contact with what might be called the here and now. My impression? God help us all – it’s worse than I thought.